Friday 24 October
Assisted suicide
Dheera Sujan's picture
Hilversum, Netherlands
Hilversum, Netherlands

Suicide assistant: a new calling?

Published on : 10 February 2010 - 2:56pm | By Dheera Sujan (Articulate Matter at Flickr)

A training course for suicide assistants? In this age of suicide attacks, there are terrifying connotations to such a phrase. But the real meaning is much more benign.

The Dutch citizen's initiative Out of Free Will wants to train people to assist with the suicides of people over 70 who feel that they've lived all they want to and that it's time to call it a day. Out of Free Will wants to change the legislation to give them their wish in the most humane way possible. Dheera Sujan sees it as a noble vocation and would seriously consider signing up for it.

Read more on her blog, South Asia Wired.

Übersetzung 19 December 2012 - 1:27pm

lilliput touchscreen 17 February 2012 - 4:20pm / india

Anonymous 24 September 2011 - 8:42am / USA

Every situation is different. Mine started on April 12, 2011. My husband and I lost our home of 16 years to foreclosure. 3 days later, on April 15, 2011, my husband jumped from a bridge and took his life. He died that night. No home, no husband, no $$$. I packed a rented minivan in 110 degree heat and drove 2000 miles across the country to be closer to 'family'. I asked to stay with my sister. She said no. So, I stay in a rented apartment alone. No one can handle my sadness, my crying, and my grief. My sister recently screamed 'YOU CAN'T CRY IN MY HOUSE', then refused to speak to me for 2 weeks. ALL members of my family have detached, so have friends. At times, I'm alone for weeks. My husband and I didn't have children. So, I am looking for an assistant, which is what brought me to this page. As the saying goes, 'walk a mile in someone's shoes' before you judge.

Jules 21 January 2011 - 1:20am

Yes this is a really intersting interrogation, we might reflect on.

K.T 21 December 2010 - 11:48am

This is a good question, I think depressive people might have help from others, and suicide assistant is a really nice help.

Mark01 12 November 2010 - 10:31am

I have a few questions. What if the ship caught fire and the boat had to be evacuated? Would everyone have been set afloat in lifeboats? And once they were in the lifeboats, how would they be rescued? By another ship coming to get them? Why didn't Carnival just send another cruise ship and transfer passengers from one ship to the other? Wouldn't this have been a better solution than waiting to be towed in by tugboats?

jessie 21 June 2010 - 5:21am

It is obvious that we need to help those who have intention to commit suicide and with our help, things will often get different...so I encourage more people to take this course.

jasmin 11 February 2010 - 12:51pm / India

I disagree! Man does not live only for himself but for others as well. These others could be family, extended family, friends and the disadvantaged communities. My father was eighty, when he passed away due to an unfortunate accident at home. He still had much to give and take from the society. And according to Hindu religion and laws- taking one's life is suicide-whether you call it euthanasia or the way as nirvan assistance, and is like throwing away the gift of God.

A.J. 2 July 2010 - 8:14am / U.S.

Throwing away a gift from god? "God" gave man the freedom of will. Everyone will die eventually. Thinking about ourselves when another is in pain and suffering is more selfish than the one wanting to leave this world. We do affect the lives of those around us but we have a right, if we're of sound mind to make that decision.