Monday 22 December
Assisted suicide
Dheera Sujan's picture
Hilversum, Netherlands
Hilversum, Netherlands

Suicide assistant: a new calling?

Published on : 10 February 2010 - 1:56pm | By Dheera Sujan (Articulate Matter at Flickr)

A training course for suicide assistants? In this age of suicide attacks, there are terrifying connotations to such a phrase. But the real meaning is much more benign.

The Dutch citizen's initiative Out of Free Will wants to train people to assist with the suicides of people over 70 who feel that they've lived all they want to and that it's time to call it a day. Out of Free Will wants to change the legislation to give them their wish in the most humane way possible. Dheera Sujan sees it as a noble vocation and would seriously consider signing up for it.

Read more on her blog, South Asia Wired.

stuart 13 December 2014 - 7:24am

I thought it was going to be some boring old post, but it really compensated for my time. I will post a link to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will find that very useful.
buy facebook likes cheap

BenqiLois 5 December 2014 - 12:10pm

In my opinion, the Act of suicide like what is mentioned on this website is not a good thing to do. It's good if the Government and the community are working together to address the humanitarian problems like this. iptv uk providers

stuart 3 December 2014 - 10:02am

I am always searching online for articles that can help me. There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also. Keep working, great job!
2014 black friday mattress deals

EmilieAlphenaar 2 December 2014 - 9:47am

Suicide is amongst the things ridiculous though for virtually every reason. I think, one must always have a new motivation to generally be able to be able to overcome the difficulties that arise in their lives. Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Attorney Seattle

AnthonySaenz 1 December 2014 - 4:57pm

This is really sound funny for me personally. How can there's an asst for committing suicide? Some people are really do not thinking for a means to do. McKinney Reverse Mortgage Broker

BerryDaez 1 December 2014 - 9:15am

In my opinion, the Work of committing suicide like what's mentioned within this website is a bad thing to do. It's good if your Government and also the community will work together to cope with the humanitarian problems this way. Management Systems for Documents

stuart 29 November 2014 - 12:39pm

lexus wheels for sale

JamesDendy 24 November 2014 - 5:42pm

Suicide is one of the actions which have violated the rules of the applicable law. In my opinion, a person has the right to life and suicide is not a good solution to end all existing problems. Phuket liveaboards

Anonymous 18 November 2014 - 6:06am

This is really sound funny for me. How can there is an assistant for suicide ? Some people are really don't thinking for a better way to do.
minecraft server hosting free

stuart 29 October 2014 - 11:45am

Hmmm Instrusting….I think I should must say, I thought this was a pretty interesting read when it comes to this topic. Liked the material. . .
lexus wheels for sale

Übersetzung 19 December 2012 - 12:27pm

lilliput touchscreen 17 February 2012 - 3:20pm / india

Anonymous 24 September 2011 - 7:42am / USA

Every situation is different. Mine started on April 12, 2011. My husband and I lost our home of 16 years to foreclosure. 3 days later, on April 15, 2011, my husband jumped from a bridge and took his life. He died that night. No home, no husband, no $$$. I packed a rented minivan in 110 degree heat and drove 2000 miles across the country to be closer to 'family'. I asked to stay with my sister. She said no. So, I stay in a rented apartment alone. No one can handle my sadness, my crying, and my grief. My sister recently screamed 'YOU CAN'T CRY IN MY HOUSE', then refused to speak to me for 2 weeks. ALL members of my family have detached, so have friends. At times, I'm alone for weeks. My husband and I didn't have children. So, I am looking for an assistant, which is what brought me to this page. As the saying goes, 'walk a mile in someone's shoes' before you judge.

Jules 21 January 2011 - 12:20am

Yes this is a really intersting interrogation, we might reflect on.

K.T 21 December 2010 - 10:48am

This is a good question, I think depressive people might have help from others, and suicide assistant is a really nice help.

Mark01 12 November 2010 - 9:31am

I have a few questions. What if the ship caught fire and the boat had to be evacuated? Would everyone have been set afloat in lifeboats? And once they were in the lifeboats, how would they be rescued? By another ship coming to get them? Why didn't Carnival just send another cruise ship and transfer passengers from one ship to the other? Wouldn't this have been a better solution than waiting to be towed in by tugboats?

jessie 21 June 2010 - 4:21am

It is obvious that we need to help those who have intention to commit suicide and with our help, things will often get different...so I encourage more people to take this course.

jasmin 11 February 2010 - 11:51am / India

I disagree! Man does not live only for himself but for others as well. These others could be family, extended family, friends and the disadvantaged communities. My father was eighty, when he passed away due to an unfortunate accident at home. He still had much to give and take from the society. And according to Hindu religion and laws- taking one's life is suicide-whether you call it euthanasia or the way as nirvan assistance, and is like throwing away the gift of God.

A.J. 2 July 2010 - 7:14am / U.S.

Throwing away a gift from god? "God" gave man the freedom of will. Everyone will die eventually. Thinking about ourselves when another is in pain and suffering is more selfish than the one wanting to leave this world. We do affect the lives of those around us but we have a right, if we're of sound mind to make that decision.