Thursday 18 September
Adrien Adandé, 18, is a practising voodoo priest
Porto-Novo, Benin
Porto-Novo, Benin

Student by day,Voodoo priest by night

Published on : 20 January 2013 - 11:08am | By RNW Africa Desk (Photo: Razzack Saïzonou)

Voodoo remains an integral part of African culture. Although the traditional religion has its critics, it also has fervent followers in Benin – some of whom are as young as they are devoted.

By Razzack Saïzonou, Porto-Novo

As soon as he gets home from school, 18-year-old Adrien Adandé slips out of his high school uniform and into his voodoo priest robes. A large crowd is already queuing outside for consultations. Adandé took over the practice from his father, who initiated him into the Voodoo rites before his death.

"As a child, I was my father’s only son who was interested in what he was doing at the convent,” the teenager recalls. “Along the way, he taught me things and showed me the secrets."

Figure of fun
With perseverance, the young apprentice eventually mastered even the most complicated rituals and can now preside over the most important voodoo ceremonies. But Adandé is an exception – only a minority of teenagers are still interested in the traditional religions.

He has been ridiculed by classmates for his beliefs. “My friends tease me and call me a fetishist,” he explains. “Others keep away from me, fearing I might harm them with my amulets. But I stand by what I do. I can combine my studies and my vocation perfectly.”

All kinds of help

While many Beninese young people shy away from the cult, others visit the traditional voodoo convents seeking a quick fix to their daily problems. Many young people turn to a voodoo priest for help finding a job or winning a promotion or advice on social issues. “What we can’t find at church, we look for at the convents, and it works!” says 23-year-old Joël Akingbé.

But not all requests are honourable according to Voodoo priest Hounnon Dranvodoun. “With the development of internet scams, many young people ask me to perform rituals to help them succeed in their scams and not get caught,” he says. Gustave Bonou, another young Beninese student agrees: “Instead of using voodoo for dirty scams, these young people would be better off learning the cult’s noble principles which are against these evil practices.”

Devil’s work or cultural identity?

Young Beninese citizens, who mostly practise ‘imported’ organised religions, tend to reject traditional belief systems, which they consider backward – if not outrioght evil. According to 19-year old Ahmed Kassim: “Voodoo is the devil’s handiwork. Whoever wants to go to paradise must stay away from these satanic practices.”

But 23-year-old philosophy student Barnabé Hounza sees voodoo as a means through which his peers can hold onto their culture. “With globalisation, the expansion of the so-called revealed religions and evangelical churches, in particular, young people have turned away from convents,” he says. “In doing so, they are also turning away from their native beliefs.”

Henri Tchokki, 19, agrees, advising people to “stop belittling voodoo”. “Let’s internalise its teachings, which are the foundation of our spirituality and identity as Africans, as Beninese,” he says.

• Benin celebrates 10 January as National Voodoo Day.<br>&copy; Photo: Razzack Saïzonou - http://www.rnw.nl
  • This voodoo initiation ceremony took place in Malanhoui, a village outside Port-Novo.<br>&copy; Photo: Razzack Saïzonou - http://www.rnw.nl
  • Elders were present.<br>&copy; Photo: Razzack Saïzonou - http://www.rnw.nl
  • There were plenty of young faces too.<br>&copy; Photo: Razzack Saïzonou - http://www.rnw.nl
  • The traditional religion relies on nature&#039;s forces to solve human problems.<br>&copy; Photo: Razzack Saïzonou - http://www.rnw.nl
  • Various participants were initiated into voodoo <br>&copy; Photo: Razzack Saïzonou - http://www.rnw.nl
  • Some young men were initiated as voodoo priests.<br>&copy; Photo: Razzack Saïzonou - http://www.rnw.nl
  • Voodoo is dismissed by some as backward, while others value its place in Benin&#039;s culture.<br>&copy; Photo: Razzack Saïzonou - http://www.rnw.nl

VACER 15 September 2014 - 7:28pm

Keep up the particular wonderful performs men I have an individual men in order to blogroll. |
Howdy! Another person around my Facebook group discussed this particular site with us therefore i located look it over. I'm absolutely enjoying the knowledge.
wedding cake ideas
AFC U19 Myanmar
kost di bandung murah
agen jersey tanah abang
jual grosir payung jas hujan
training public speaking
info sehat

Anonymous 12 September 2014 - 7:05pm

Thanks a lot for that auspicious writeup. It in truth seemed to be a fun bill the item. Home Interior Design Ideas

Ora 12 September 2014 - 2:47pm

Thanks a lot for that auspicious writeup. It in truth seemed to be a fun bill the item. wedding cake ideas

Ora 12 September 2014 - 2:47pm

to discover any kind of topic upon web as compared to textbooks, when i identified this post when it reaches this site. Kancolle Anime Meme

Ora 12 September 2014 - 2:46pm

It is a subject that's close to my own coronary heart... Best wishes! Where are the contact details nevertheless? rumah dijual

Ora 12 September 2014 - 2:46pm

prefer to send people the e-mail. We've got a number of ideas on your blog site you will be keen on ability to hear. No matter what, great site in addition to I count on discovering the item grow with time. iphone wallpaper

Ora 12 September 2014 - 2:45pm

Hello, I log on to your new stuff like every week. Your current humoristic fashion can be witty, hold up the good work. best dehumidifier

Ora 12 September 2014 - 2:45pm

My spouse and i just couldn't leave your own site prior to indicating that we extremely loved the standard info an individual supply in your guests? Is gonna become again often in order to inspect completely new threads. rodent control

dewy 8 September 2014 - 6:35pm

I say thank you to the creator of this article, Manfaat Crystal X this article contains information that is very helpful for readers smeua especially my own. I'm waiting for the other information that is not less interesting. Good luck to you. visit our website to increase knowledge Distributor Resmi Crystal X Asli NASA Yogyakarta

Anonymous 8 September 2014 - 6:26pm

Thanks for the information which presented on this website, Distributor Crystal X Asli Nasa Jogjakarta i'am very comfortable in redading the contensof each erticle there, theinformation provided is very helpful in improving my general knowledge about online information Jual Crystal X Asli Nasa

sikawai 7 September 2014 - 11:14am

You actually think nearly the same as I actually do and I am pleased I found your article. cara memakai jilbab

sikawai 7 September 2014 - 11:13am

This is 7 olive oil for hair benefits : 1. Prevents Hair Loss 2. Get Rids of Dandruff and Head Lice 3.Improves Hair Strength Naturally 4. Makes Hair Shiny and Soft 5. Improves Blood Circulation in Scalp 6. Promotes Scalp Health 7. Tames Frizzy Hair
source : olive oil for hair

sikawai 7 September 2014 - 11:13am

What to Look for in a Steam Mop : A reputable brand, Weight, Handle design and length, Mop head, Indicator Lights, Covers, On and off switch, Warm-up time, Attachment. Source steam mop reviews

Harganya 5 September 2014 - 5:21am / Indonesia

This afternoon I've read in your place, and quite interesting information submitted. If we are diligent reading will certainly add to the knowledge and insight. Thank you, continue to work.
1.harga mesin cuci lg
2.Daftar Harga Pompa Air
3.Harga Mesin Cuci Laundry
4.harga mesin jahit singer

koclok 31 August 2014 - 2:28am / gabon

you know that, my hover tanks already upgraded to 7th level, also i got hell fire for long range tank, http://simpen.smkgarudanusantara.sch.id/

loaunoti 31 August 2014 - 2:25am / palestine

it's could be better if i increase the level to 15th http://wheelblogs.wordpress.com

SEO Rakitan 27 August 2014 - 6:57am / Indonesia

Selfie Mode merupakan cara baru yang inovatif untuk mengambil potret diri (selfie) berkualitas tinggi. Selfie Mode memungkinkan pengguna untuk mengambil foto selfie individu atau bersama dengan teman-teman menggunakan kamera utama beresolusi tinggi di belakang ponsel Camry Mobil Hybrid Terbaik Indonesia enFone telah dilengkapi lapisan Corning® Gorilla® Glass 3 untuk kehandalan dan daya tahan lebih baik terhadap goresan Portal Teknologi mendukung HD dan IPS+ untuk ASUS ZenFone Smartphone Android Terbaik Charcoal Black, Pearl White, Cherry Red, Sky Blue dan Solar Yellow.

crystal x 23 August 2014 - 3:51pm / indonesia
josh 2 August 2014 - 7:34am / england

Thanks for sharing this information. http://cingcong123.blogspot.com , http://sempeh.soup.io/

eavedrop44 9 July 2014 - 7:35am

Thank you for this post. Thats all I are able to say. You most absolutely have built this blog website into something speciel. You clearly know what you are working on, youve insured so many corners.Buy Prozac Online

Hodoolan 8 July 2014 - 8:48am

For any component manufacturer or industrial supplier the results are very interesting. You get some real insight Auto Diagnositc Tool into what engineers struggle with behind the scenes and what can be done to build a great customer experience.

Anonymous 7 July 2014 - 10:08pm / indo

Saya ucapkan terimakasih kepada pembuat artikel ini, artikel ini berisi informasi yang sangat bermanfaat untuk smeua pembaca khususnya saya sendiri. Saya tunggu lagi informasi-informasi lainnya yang tidak kalah menarik.
Sukses selalu untuk anda

kunjungi web kami untuk menambah ilmu
keputihan wanita
Testimoni Crystal X Asli Jogja

eavedrop44 10 July 2014 - 9:46am

Door Casings
Thanks for the unmatchable diary.it was rale useful for me.navigator sharing specified ideas in the instant as symptomless.this was actually what i was labour for,and i am voluntary to came here!

kunyu 4 July 2014 - 3:57am / malaysia

The article gives insight. I like this. failure is a common, but not worth crying over it. you need to do is keep trying until it works. manfaat crystal x such as health are things that need to be prioritized manfaat crystal x good job admin and thank for information

eavedrop44 18 June 2014 - 10:47am

This is a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new technology.Timber Merchants Preston

vegas88.asia 14 June 2014 - 4:01am / Indonesia

Definitely a great post. Hats off to you! The information that you have provided is very helpful.
vegas88.asia