Friday 29 August
RNW Dutch department says farewell
Hilversum, Netherlands
Hilversum, Netherlands

RNW Dutch service to end with 24-hour broadcast

Published on : 7 May 2012 - 5:00pm | By (Photo: RNW)

After 65 years of broadcasting, Radio Netherlands Worldwide's Dutch service will go off the air this week. To mark the close-down, the department will present a 24-hour live radio marathon.

The special live broadcast on 10-11 May will, one last time, bring that feeling of a 'home away from home' to Dutch listeners around the globe, reminding people how radio can be a friend in a foreign land.

Click here to see the live stream and here to read the live blog.

Looking back... and forward
During the programme, hosts Karin van den Boogaert, Anouk Tijssen en Wim Vriezen will look back to the beginning of the station, playing wartime audio from Radio Oranje and from the many RNW newscasts about important moments in Dutch and world history.

Hosts Karin van den Boogaert, Anouk Tijssen en Wim Vriezen
Hosts Karin van den Boogaert, Anouk Tijssen en Wim Vriezen

Of course they won't forget any of the department's special programmes about culture or language or the shows specifically for expats, seafarers, and truck drivers. They'll dip into the music archives and they'll share memories sent in from listeners around the world.

Although the Dutch service is saying goodbye, they will also talk about the future of Radio Netherlands Worldwide - spreading free speech in places where press freedom is under threat and where people can not get independent information.

Plans for the closure or continuation of the other language departments are under discussion.

Join in!
There are many ways to get involved in the radio marathon.

First off, you can listen! Check the hour-by-hour programme (in Dutch) and listen online or via satellite,  shortwave or mediumwave radio (click here for frequencies; it's a pdf file in Dutch). You can also watch excerpts on BVN (see below).

Secondly, you can vote on the most memorable RNW radio moment (Dutch) from the last 65 years.

Lastly, you can share your own memory of Radio Netherlands Worldwide. The best stories will be shared on air and all entrants will be entered to win a copy of a beautiful book about the end of the Dutch world service: Je band met Nederland (Your link with the Netherlands).

To submit an entry, comment on this page (the page is in Dutch but you can write in English) or send an email directly to: .

To tune in:

Radio:
The 24-hour radio marathon begins on 10 May at 20:00 UTC (22:00 local time) and will continue until 11 May at 20:00 UTC (22:00 local time).

The broadcast can be heard via shortwave in Europe (with summaries on shortwave in the rest of the world), satellite (BVN) and Wereldomroep.nl (with images). In the Benelux, listeners can tune in on 1296 AM. Click here for frequencies.

Television:
BVN will also cover the radio marathon.

On Thursday, May 10 at 19:00 UTC (21:00 local time) with a repeat on Friday, May 11th at 07:00 UTC (09.00 local time), reporters from the Dutch department will look back at their farewell journey which covered all the continents where Dutch expats and emigrés listened to Radio Netherlands Worldwide. During the broadcast, listeners can call and comment on the stories.

On Saturday, May 12th at 20:55 UTC (22.55 Dutch time) with a repeat on Sunday, May 13th at 20:55 UTC (22.55 Dutch time) , there will be a look back at the farewell broadcast including highlights of 65 years of radio and a very special ending.

Go to www.bvn.tv for local broadcast times.

(/rk/imm)

Angelo 29 July 2014 - 10:44am

i first got to know radio netherlands back in the 80's. they got me interested in short wave radio. wish i had saved those freebbies the sent me but i left them back in nigeria. when i got back to the philipines i would still listen to RNW. now it saddens me dearly that its gone. goodbye and thanks for the memories.dank u.

Anonymous 29 June 2012 - 4:17pm

Such a sad day. Thank you for your many years of information and entertainment. Goodbye!

Schippers, Jacob 18 May 2012 - 10:45pm / Switzerland

My Mother, Femkje Boes used to sing as mezzo-soprano
in your broadcasts between 1940 and 1943.
I would be happy to learn that you have saved in your archives some renegistrations
of her voice.
Thank you for your attention.
Jaap Schippers

Claes-W. Englund 11 May 2012 - 3:14pm / Danderyd, Sweden

Since October 1952I have enjoyed Radio Nederland,mostly in English,but Dutch and Swedish have some likes in some expressions.I have enjoyed the Marathon,from Yesterday to today Friday with a lots of memos for me.It is really sad that the Dutch people will loose its own language over the international ether(the ether-net,which started before internet)and shortwave bands.RNW is still one with most influence in Intern.World Band Radio

Tomas 11 May 2012 - 9:31am / Colombia

I am really sad that your are signing off. I used to listen to you since 1960 and am going to miss you very much. I wish you could broadcast again in the future since there are many places where short wave is the only means of communication.You are a monument to radio history, thanks for the joy you gave us.

Anonymous 11 May 2012 - 6:13am / peru-usa

I first heard your radio using a old short-wav radio in Peru. I loved it from the beggining. I am still a usual listener on the internet.

I hope you guys continue making such a beatiful work informing people all over the world.

Debra MacLaughlan-Dumes 11 May 2012 - 12:51am / United States

Radio Nederland was the first shortwave station I ever heard. In 1965 my mother gave me her two-band transistor with shortwave. I tuned until I heard the distinctive interval signal played on bells, and I was hooked on the hobby. Every evening from California I've been tuning in to 6165 kHz to hear the beautiful national anthem. I'll miss you very much.

Anonymous 10 May 2012 - 6:27pm / U.S.A.

I used to hear your programs in English, Dutch and Spanish here in the USA and I'm sad to see your shortwave service die out. I know that you're using new technologies to continue reaching the world, but I wish you wouldn't shut down your shortwave broadcasts. I wish you all the very best.

lazaro diaz sanchez 10 May 2012 - 12:38am / usa

I was there and saw the big tent for this great goodbye deployed, will have a very sad end and more than one would drop their tears.

Luis Fierro 9 May 2012 - 11:15am / Canada

I am so sad to see you go. Some of the stories I would hear late at night were so inspiring and uplifting, they gave me faith in our fellow human beings. Thank you for your dedication and effort in making this a better world.

jasmin 8 May 2012 - 3:51am

Sorry to know about this, but good that they are signing off in style.My best wishes to the entire Dutch department for their rosy future.Thanks for serving the nation.