Thursday 24 April
helpline role play
Suzanna Koster's picture
Lahore, Pakistan
Lahore, Pakistan

Pakistan: Abortion pill replaces hot oil and coat hangers

Published on : 26 June 2010 - 6:29am | By Suzanna Koster (photo: Suzanna Koster )

A new telephone helpline is set to allow women in Pakistan quick access to the abortion pill.

Women On Waves' website (lists hotline numbers in various countries)

The helpline has been set up by Pakistani women’s organisations with support from Dutch activist group Women on Waves. The project is controversial because abortion is illegal in Pakistan. Rebecca Gomperts of Women on Waves says the most important thing is that “you can save a woman’s life here for less than 30 rupees [28 eurocents]”.

Role play
Two women and a man are sitting in a hotel room in Lahore. One of the women wants information about abortion. The other is asking questions and explains how pregnancy can be terminated by using Misoprostol. The man playing the husband listens in the background.

Love Matters

Love Matters

An RNW website about love, sex, relationships and everything in between.

Here you'll find loads of blush-free information to help you improve your sex life and stay healthy and happy.

It is a role-play exercise organised by Women on Waves for the people who will staff the helpline. The Dutch group provides safe abortions in countries where terminations remain taboo.

Unsafe abortions
About 12 trained Pakistani staff on the helpline will provide information on how to use the abortion pill. Misoprostol costs less than 10 eurocents per pill, according to Ms Gomperts. Using the pill within nine weeks of conception causes an abortion in 85 to 90 percent of women and cannot be distinguished from a miscarriage. Most women though are unaware of this.

Nearly 900,000 women undergo illegal and often unsafe abortions every year in Pakistan. They are usually married and already have children. Contraceptives are not easy to come by in Pakistan and are often contrary to religion and culture.

Between 10 and 15 percent of women who undergo unsafe abortions die and each year 200,000 women end up in hospital. Tahira Abdullah, a Pakistani human rights activist with over 30 years’ experience, says most abortions are carried out by untrained quacks. “They use equipment that hasn’t been sterilised, boiling hot oil, coat hangers, sticks. It’s appalling.”

Alone
Despite this, 30-year-old Jasmin (not her real name) decided, for personal reasons, to have an abortion five years ago. She was a nurse and aware of the dangers. She got the name of someone who worked as a sweeper at a hospital and was shocked to hear that this woman would perform the termination.

“She told me that all sorts of people brought women to her for abortions, including officials and policemen. She said she performed five or six terminations per day, and asked me why I was so nervous.”

There were enough reasons. “She could puncture the uterus or vagina. There was risk of infection because she was only using one catheter for all those women. I felt so terrible and alone,” Jasmin explains. She took antibiotics afterwards just to be on the safe side. As far as she knows, she has not suffered any ill effects from the procedure.

Risky
For the time being, abortion laws will not be relaxed in Pakistan. Human rights activist Khalida Salimi says this means that promoting abortion brings with it huge risks. "We need the political will to introduce it in government hospitals. Otherwise it is senseless. People will be arrested for profanity."

Ms Gomperts says she cannot predict what the reaction to the helpline will be in Pakistan. But she is convinced she’s right: "Information about the abortion pill can save lives every day. It is incredibly important that this information that should be freely available."

(/tf)

Anonymous 11 March 2014 - 1:42am / Karachi

I married with someone but my family doesn't know about that I got pregnant and he left me by divorce I don't have any idea I have no one to stand with me at this stage I don't know about the procedure of pragnency we did sex on 7-10 -14-24-and at last 5 of this month my last period was ended at 6 of Feb now I actually don't know how many days of pragnency I had I m in deep trauma I have not enough money and resources to hide this by having obortion I really don't know what to do next

Anonymous 11 March 2014 - 1:40am / Karachi

Anonymous 12 November 2013 - 8:06pm

i have about 47 days and i did not get periods. my date is 27 i want to get over with unwanted pregnancy will these medicine get over unwanted pregnancy..??

Anonymous 12 November 2013 - 8:05pm

Anonymous 10 October 2013 - 7:50pm / pakistan

my wife have 7 week pregnancy and i have already 3 kids so we are not want to get an other baby. i have tried misoprostol 800mcg but no effect kindly do the favor please.

Anonymous 21 August 2013 - 9:23pm / pakistan

plz tell me the name of tablet to remove 6 week pregnancy

user avatar
Louise Dunne 22 August 2013 - 8:48am

According to the Women on Waves organisation there are three safe abortion hotlines in Pakistan. These hotlines are staffed by volunteers who will  provide information about using misoprostol for a safe abortion.  They are:

0307 - 494 07 07 - (Urdu, Punjabi)
0315 - 917 04 08 - (Urdu, Pastho)
0315 - 947 33 99 - (Urdu, Sindhi)

The FPA can also offer advice

Family Planning Association of Pakistan (FPAP )
3-A Temple Road
Lahore 54000
Pakistan

Tel: +92(42) 631 4621 - 5
Fax: +92(42) 636 8692

Anonymous 16 August 2013 - 6:00am / pakistan

can u help me as to where i can get mifepristone in pakistan... i dont think its available in pakistan. i've tried misoprostol but it isnt working. will u be able to provide me mifepristone in a week's time as its my 8th week. or can u suggest any other options??? kindly rply on my email

Anonymous 4 July 2013 - 11:29pm / Pakistan

advice I had sex on 26 June and periods on 28th ...will it cause pregency?

Anonymous 24 June 2013 - 10:25am / Pakistan

My wife is pregnant for 2 weeks. Please advice as we don't need baby at this time.

Anonymous 23 October 2013 - 8:40pm / Uk

If u don't need baby use condom

Anonymous 7 May 2013 - 6:00am

kindly let me know the best medicine for save abortion of 1 week pregnency

Anonymous 7 May 2013 - 5:58am

AoA, my wife has 1 week pregnency, we dont want baby now and she is very weak so kindly let me know the best medicine for safe abortion.

Alian 29 April 2013 - 8:58pm / Pakistan

Plz tell me six weeks abortion pill in Pakistan Karachi

Anonymous 16 April 2013 - 11:08pm / pakistan,islamabad

a relative of mine is 8 weeks pregnant her husband didnt want the child so kicked her out, girl has tried cytotec arthrotec some malaria med and what not nuthing happened ...talked and begged several gynecologists all refused theres immense tension ,girl went to some nurse she just experimented n did nuthing ...kindly help.

Anonymous 13 April 2013 - 12:19pm / Pakistan

how can be removed 2 mnths pragnency with medicines. please help me

Anonymous 5 April 2013 - 9:13pm / pakistan

plz tell me the name of tablet to remove 5 week pregnancy

Jc 29 April 2013 - 8:50pm / Pakistan

My wife six weeks pragnent but we want to aborte because my wife three sizes in three year so plz tell me the medican for abort

user avatar
Louise Dunne 8 April 2013 - 9:16am / Netherlands

0307 - 494 07 07 - (Urdu, Punjabi)
0315 - 917 04 08 - (Urdu, Pastho)
0315 - 947 33 99 - (Urdu, Sindhi)

The FPA can also offer advice

Family Planning Association of Pakistan (FPAP )
3-A Temple Road
Lahore 54000
Pakistan

Tel: +92(42) 631 4621 - 5
Fax: +92(42) 636 8692

anonymous 23 June 2013 - 12:59pm / Pakistan

My wife has 2 weeks unwanted pregnany.How can she get aborted? Name the pills
and duration of the treatment.

Anonymous 20 February 2013 - 3:42pm / pakistan

plz tell me the name of tablet to remove 6 week pregnancy

Khyzar 03002135410 29 March 2013 - 5:35am

plz tell me the name of tablet to remove 6 week pregnancy
Khyzar 03002135410
Karachi-Pakistan

shani 7 February 2013 - 1:09am / pakistan

i have 8 months old daughter,she is on mother feeding ,my wife get pregnant and her pregnancy is about 2 weeks , so you are requested to please help me a.s.a.p to terminate this unwanted pregnancy.

Anonymous 8 February 2013 - 8:12pm / Pakistan

Can someone let me know from where to get mifepristone?

Thanks

Anonymous 1 February 2013 - 6:28pm / Pakistan

Hi! I need some information regarding where I can go for a Doctor's assistance in terminating my pregnancy - medical abortion. I know I need to take Mifepristone and Misopostrol but the doctors I've visited have not been helpful at all. I'm hoping you can give me some leads. I live in Karachi. Thank you.

drali 29 December 2012 - 6:01pm / pakistan

any girl from lahore need help ?

Anonymous 7 May 2013 - 8:18am / Pakistan

Yes do help me i have 4 months pregnancy and i want to remove it as soon as possible.. please help
janyis4u@yahoo.com

Dr. Shahbaz 1 January 2013 - 5:04am / Pakistan

Hi
I Need Mifepristone for my patient. Can you provide me?
Give me ur contact number
Mine is 0334-9981856
Waiting...

Imran 19 October 2012 - 1:06am / Pakistan

Requesting a 2 week pregnancy abortion method. Is the procedure safe?
Thank you.

Anonymous 10 October 2012 - 2:27pm / pakistan

meri wife nd me doing sex in 23 september nd us ki periods ki date 8 so 2 din guzar gae nd we r worried so ap ko ezi sa solution btae khtm karne ke liye <<<