Tuesday 2 September
Woman being lashed in Sudan
News Desk's picture
Khartoum, Sudan
Khartoum, Sudan

Public flogging of women in Sudan causes outcry

Published on : 9 December 2010 - 5:23pm | By RNW News Desk (RNW screenshot)

Graphic footage on YouTube showing a Sudanese woman being lashed have led to shocked reactions among Sudanese expats and emigrés.

Punitive public floggings are the order of the day, according to RNW's Ibrahim Jadelkarim, who is from Sudan. Tens of thousands of women are estimated to be subjected to this form of corporal punishment and public humiliation. It is unusual, however, for such scenes to be seen the world over via YouTube.

It is unclear what the woman was accused of, nor is her identity known.

YouTube has withdrawn the images from its site, arguing that the content violated the company's conditions of service. The footage can still be seen below. (Warning: these are shocking images.)

Indecent behaviour
The women involved are often accused of having committed adultery, of being improperly dressed in public, or of having behaved 'indecently' in other ways. Sudanese law, which is based on islamic Sharia rules, does not specify when clothing is considered indecent. This lack of definition allows policemen free reign to determine who is looking indecent. Women who were punished for such offences are usually too ashamed to speak about it.

Trousers
Journalist Lubna Ahmed al-Hussein was arrested last year for wearing trousers, considered offensive by the authorities. Unlike other women, Lubna went public about her arrest and invited hundreds of friends and the media to attend the court session.

She told Radio Netherlands Worldwide that her action changed the way lashing is viewed in Sudan. Corporal punishment has become a human rights issue there too, and more women are seeking publicity when they are sentenced to lashings.

However shocking the YouTube video may be, possibly it does contribute to the discussion about corporal punishment in Sudan.

Related content

Anonymous 16 April 2013 - 11:57pm / Mexico

what was she accused for? no human being deserves this kind of treatment
those policemen dont even deserve the air they breathe

tadreamer 12 March 2011 - 4:57am / USA

This sort of thing is never practiced in a Christian society.

Anonymous 16 October 2011 - 1:09am

That's because the priests are too busy abusing children..

Anonymous 23 October 2011 - 10:50pm

The amount of child sexual abuse cases actually perpetrated by Catholic priests is a painfully small percentage of the overall. You only hear about them more often than anyone else because they are priests.

Anonymous 20 December 2010 - 6:43pm / Sudan

I'm not replying to any specific comment. These cruel devils should try once (just once) what they use to flog woman. Honestly I'm tempted to kill both the Judge and the policeman. I'm seriously considering doing that now and I've already located them in Sudan, just wait for me. Its the only way to deal with heartless people.

Regards

Stephen 18 December 2010 - 1:34pm / USA

Not every country or culture abuses women. This disgusting scene, however, has little to justify itself. A screaming woman being whipped by rather cheerful men seems somewhat abherrant. A lot of so-called religious punishment is beyond the pale. God help us all.

jasmin 17 December 2010 - 6:23pm / India

And the same men, who punish their women for loose morals, abuse other women and push them into prostitution!...And prostitution thrives proudly in Holland! And RNW has a dossier on it! Is this the way to respect women in Holland? How can Holland/RNW point at other countries for women abuse when foreign women trafficking goes unabated for the Hollanders in Holland! Double standards?

Anonymous 20 December 2010 - 1:39am

Are you nuts?! This is a video of a state sanctioned public whipping. It cannot be compared to highly illegal and covert human trafficking. There is also much public attention and criticism put on human trafficking and prostitution in the Netherlands. So, to answer your silly question... no double standard.

jasmin 20 December 2010 - 6:40am / India

I sincerely apologise for my comments to the Dutch people in general. I appreciate that there is public attention on this matter. So, no double standards. Rest RNW knows best what issues to focus on. I respect their wise judgement. So, sorry to RNW staff as well.

Hiram3.1 18 December 2010 - 7:42am

Jasmin, just because abuses take place in Holland doesn't mean everyone in Holland should shut-up and not say anything aboutt he abuses in countries like Sudan.

Anonymous 18 December 2010 - 10:58am

Right, Hiram. They can create a movement against abuse of foreign women in Holland, just like they did about abuses in the Church, for which they got an award! They are more interested in religious issues, Tanja, Joran, Wilders...And Sudanese men are as good/bad as men around the world...most abuse the women..

jasmin 17 December 2010 - 6:16pm / India

Every culture/religion/country abuses women, and strangely they kneel to women deities, for personal gains! It is a man's world, very few women get the respect and love they deserve!

Rizig 14 December 2010 - 11:51am / Sudan

It is sad... but please don't just look at the negative side of Sudan, there is also beauty and good areas where you can be at and forget about the horror and sadness. Please see the beauty and wildlife of our Dindir National Park in Sudan here ( http://www.bioenergy4me.com/sudan-dindir.htm )

Emily 14 December 2010 - 5:46am / UK

I agree with the recent comment by Manas, this is very true and I love your strong reactions and the fact that you are not scared. Keep it going, people like you will serve our country good.

IT IS ME 14 December 2010 - 2:34am

stop the cries.
burn all the whips you can get your hands on.
ban the whip in law and list it as a weapon of aggression.
if all the ladies in sudan wore toruses there would not be enough places in jail to accommodate them all.
have a social revolution ... say YOU CANNOT HIT ME

BB from Darfur 13 December 2010 - 2:20pm / Sudan

Dear Janet
My comment was not about religion forum to discuss the issue of Islam as generally, I am a Muslim although I am liberal and pro-democracy, I never advocate or in concurrence with those who act barbarically towards others fellow in humanity whether being Muslim, Christian Jews or non-believers , generally I believe mostly on political system should not be intertwined with religion. Those who want to practice their religion should do that in their respective worship place.
I am advocating for better political system of my country based on real democracy based on rule of law, transparency, inclusive etc. What you have seen committed by certain Muslims has nothing to do with Islam. I know as much regimes that affiliated with religion normally doing so to justify their barbaric action toward their opponent. We have witnessed a democratic regime led by former prime Minister Elsadig Almahadi, but the coup d’état of INGAS regime ended that bright era, had it not for the hypocrisy of some international community that supported such regime at the beginning to exist we wouldn’t have been in such impasse. Sudan is multi-cultural, religion, racial etc, that can only governed by democracy that I and may of Sudanese believe in.
Dear Janet once again Islam is a religion of peace and tolerance that shouldn’t obscure your understanding because of a few of Muslim who act differently and barbarically tarnishing the image of Islam which i categorically opposed to such practices done in the name of Islam ,and I do believe all the religion of God contain the same message of peace, tolerance, love and all human values, I do believe that all human being should have freedom of what he/she believe in, this should not transgress other rights who differ with you.

Lets us all agree on ‘Do-no-harm” principle should be looked at carefully when taking decisions concerning other welfare. To this end the topic of discussion was about the barbarisms of Khartoum regime toward their citizen that caused mayhem to them in all four corners of my country Muslim, Christian, non-believer etc. We totally against such policies. I am not against Islam or whatever religion but I am against the policies that uses religion as tool to implement different agenda.
I am from Darfur and I will stay in my country to defend the rights of my people, to the coleague who advocate of not giving me visa to enter his country I haven't asked for that favor, becasue I will stay the course till the truth if revealed.

Hiram3 12 December 2010 - 10:06am / NL

A perverse and cruel interpretation of Islam is exhibited here. I advocate a rejection of all religious writings from all religions, from public policy. Governments which are the most secular are the most protective of their weakest citizens.

tadreamer 12 March 2011 - 5:03am / USA

This is Islam/Sharia in common practice, and the human race will not be safe until both are destroyed from the earth.

BB from Darfur 13 December 2010 - 2:30pm / Sudan

Dear Janet

B.B from Darfur 11 December 2010 - 1:16pm / Sudan

When I have seen this video images, I have cried a lot to the extent that many of my colleagues trying to appease me, and still these ghostly practices haunting me as well many of those who have seen this images shocked by the cruelty of the punishment.
Islam is a religion of peace and tolerance, but the fundamentalist are tarnished the beauty values of Islam; they interpret Islam differently, by inflecting such punishment on human.
I duly in concurrence with (Angry-Sudania) that in Islam teachings women should be treated with the respect, its reveal the true images of the regime Sudan, this image it happen in Center of Sudan imagine how could be the situation for innocent in the peripheries (Dafur, East, North etc.) untold stories would be soon discovered.
We hope the day of judgment will soon prevail in my dear country Sudan and those innocent be extricated from the hardship and brutality.

B.B from Darfur 11 December 2010 - 1:15pm

janet 11 December 2010 - 11:02pm

BB: You are EXACTLY the kind of Sudanese I was talking about, who says Islam is a religion of peace and tolerance. Rubbish! Just read your holy texts. Put in the effort. and READ them! Where do you think all those non-peaceful, non-tolerant ideas Muslims have come from? Why do so many Muslims miss the message you see of "peace and tolerance"? Why do they want to "kill the unbelievers" and rape non-Muslim women and loot and lie and attack and ambush and all the rest of it? Because they are following the "perfect man" who did all that and more. What is this nonsense about "interpretation"? What do you do about verses in the Koran which EXPLICITLY command murder of infidels and beating of women? Mohammed said if you even "fear" disobedience you can beat a woman. If Mohammed said do it, then why not do it? He is the boss, after all.
And your precious Mohammed said you should force me to become Muslim, kill me or force me to pay Muslims a special tax. That's Islamic "tolerance" for you!
Stop your stupid crying and wake up! Wake up! Those "untold" stories you talk about are everywhere, not "untold" at all. In Sudan of all places you have no excuse to be ignorant.

BB from Darfur 13 December 2010 - 2:18pm / Sudan

Dear Janet

B.B 11 December 2010 - 1:14pm / Sudan

Anonymous 11 December 2010 - 3:46am / Sudan

Today I wave goodbye to Islam and to the hellhole Sudan.

janet 10 December 2010 - 8:45pm

I am sick and tired of Sudanese saying "real" Islam is not like this, it is just Bashir, blah blah blah. It IS Islam! Pull your heads out of the sand and read the Koran and THINK about it! Your government is "using" Islam, that's what you all tell me...but why? Because it can, because Islam is eminently "usable", because Islam says you die if you leave the religion, or like poor harmless Mahmud Muhammed Taha you can be hanged if you try and turn it into a decent religion by leaving out the nasty bits. I have met some of you who admit privately it is all rubbish - then you go off to mosque!

Hiram3 above: are you mad? Something horrible happens in the Islamic world and all you can do is rave about Christianity and Judaism? Don't you get it? We are allowed to ignore anything we like in the Bible. Laws against blasphemy are long gone. We have MOVED ON. We have created the free world, where you all want to move to, so shut up about our religions. Islam is a deadbeat religion, a tragic anachronism in the modern world, and I hope you didn't get a visa and you are stuck in Sudan, not infecting our world with your backwardness after we let you in.

Rania 10 December 2010 - 7:34pm / The Netherlands

This is what the Qur´an teaches the Muslims LOVE AND TOLERANCE.... They are torturing the woman because she wore a "pantaloon" which is NOT HALAL according to the Islamic Sharia! perhaps after 10 years from now we are going to witness such horrible judgments in Rotterdam first and then in the rest of the country!!

skai 11 December 2010 - 1:21am / uk

Rania, " This is what Quran teaches the muslims, LOVE AND TOLERANCE..." Quran doesn't teach that. Sura 9:111 " Allah has purchased from the faithful their lives and worldly goods and in return has promised them paradise,they will fight for the cause of Allah ,they will Kill and be Killed" Quran is EVIL, see www.thereligionofpeace.com and www.islam-watch.org

Rania 11 December 2010 - 3:13pm / The

Yes Saki.... I do agree with you! The problem is that Muslims are striving here in Europe and in non Muslim-Countries in order to preach and spread ISLAM so that they can conquer us, and consequently apply their brutal Sharia. Bear in mind that multiple marriages and breeding dozens of children is also considered JIHAD! This has to stop, and European leaders MUST PROMPTLY WAKE UP, YET NEVERTHELESS, IT IS TOOOOOO LATE!

Hiram3 10 December 2010 - 11:07am

That was truly awful. A clear example of why we should not tolerate the incursion of religious teachings into public policy. Regimes that look to religion for guidance and morals do so at the peril of women. Important to note: We are not looking at a fundamentally different religion to Christianity and Judaism. Just varying degrees of adherence to scripture.
Just like fundamentalist Islam, Christianity provides some of the worst examples of mysogynistic thought:
•“No wickedness comes anywhere near the wickedness of a woman…..Sin began with a woman and thanks to her we all must die” (Ecclesiasticus 25:19,24).
•“A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I don’t permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner” (I Timothy 2:11-14).
•“The birth of a daughter is a loss” (Ecclesiasticus 22:3).
•“Keep a headstrong daughter under firm control, or she will abuse any indulgence she receives. Keep a strict watch on her shameless eye, do not be surprised if she disgraces you” (Ecclesiasticus 26:10-11).
•“As in all the congregations of the saints, women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission as the law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.” (I Corinthians 14:34-35)
•“If a man takes a wife and, after lying with her, dislikes her saying, ‘I married this woman, but when I approached her, I did not find proof of her virginity,’ …and no proof of the girl’s virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of the town shall stone her to death. She has done a disgraceful thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you.” (Deuteronomy 22:13-21)
•“A bad wife brings humiliation, downcast looks, and a wounded heart. Slack of hand and weak of knee is the man whose wife fails to make him happy. Woman is the origin of sin, and it is through her that we all die. Do not leave a leaky cistern to drip or allow a bad wife to say what she likes. If she does not accept your control, divorce her and send her away” (Ecclesiasticus 25:25).
•“Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God…A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head” (I Corinthians 11:3-10).
•“They called out to Lot and said, “Where are the men who came to you tonight? Send them out to us so we can have sex with them! Lot went out to them at the entrance and shut the door behind him. He said, “Don’t do this evil, my brothers. Look, I’ve got two daughters who haven’t had sexual relations with a man. I’ll bring them out to you, and you can do whatever you want to them. However, don’t do anything to these men, because they have come under the protection of my roof.” (Genesis 19:5-8)
Judaism deprecates women to a lesser degree, but does so with each morning prayer: "Blessed art thou, O Lord our God, King of the universe, who hast not made me a woman"