Monday 22 December
Amsterdam Red Light district
News Desk's picture
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Minimum age for Dutch prostitutes raised to 21

Published on : 16 April 2010 - 8:17am | By RNW News Desk (Photo: ANP)

Women working as prostitutes in the Netherlands should be at least 21 years of age, caretaker Justice Minister Ernst Hirsch Ballin has decided. The minister, a Christian Democrat, has proposed raising the legal prostitution age from the earlier threshold of 18.

His Christian Union colleague, caretaker Youth and Family Minister André Rouvoet had earlier signalled a similar desire for a higher minimum age for prostitutes. In a debate in the Lower House the populist right-wing Freedom Party, led by Geert Wilders, had asked for such an age rise. MPs said they want better protection for young girls against so-called loverboys, young pimps who win a girl's confidence and then force her into prostitution. It is expected that a majority in the Lower House will accept Minister Hirsch Ballin's proposal.

Brothel owners in The Hague earlier took the initiative to raise the age to 21 in an attempt to eradicate exploitation by pimps and loverboys. The Amsterdam council, too, said it favoured a higher minimum age.

Human trafficking
The Dutch caretaker cabinet is working on a set of measures to strengthen prostitution controls. There will be more identity checks to prevent under-21s to prostitute themselves illegally. Those in favour say that older women are more independent and better able to fend off unruly clients or pushy pimps. They would also be harder for traffickers to recruit.

The Dutch ban on brothels was lifted ten years ago. The exploitation of prostitution facilities is no longer illegal, it is seen as a legal source of income.
By being brought within the rule of law, brothel owners have to pay income taxes, and they have to treat prostitutes like regular employees or freelances.

It is estimated there are some 20,000 to 30,000 fulltime prostitutes, half of them foreign, in the Netherlands (population 16.5 million).

© Radio Netherlands Worldwide

kik messenger apk 6.1.0.20 5 December 2014 - 5:01pm / Netherlands

Hey there! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with SEO?
I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing very good gains.
If you know of any please share. Thanks!

kik messenger apk 6.5.1 2 December 2014 - 8:47am / Canada

I really like what you guys tend to be up too. This kind of clever work and
exposure! Keep up the wonderful works guys I've added you guys
to my own blogroll.

Ashley 27 November 2014 - 4:06am / France

I have read several just right stuff here. Definitely price bookmarking for revisiting.

I surprise how a lot effort you place to make one of these fantastic informative website.

kik android push notifications 27 November 2014 - 1:45am / Italy

Informative article, exactly what I needed.

kik messenger apk 6.7 25 November 2014 - 11:48pm / Austria

A person essentially help to make severely posts I might state.
This is the first time I frequented your web page and so far?

I amazed with the research you made to create this particular put up incredible.
Great process!

Hallie 21 November 2014 - 11:28am / United States

Hello, this weekend is good kik for pc no download, kik messenger for pc windows 7 download, kik for pc no survey, download kik for pc no bluestacks, kik for pc free no download
me, for the reason that this point in time i am reading this impressive educational article here at my home.

Brigette 22 August 2014 - 7:28am / France

I'm not sure where you're getting your info, but great topic.
I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more.
Thanks for excellent information I was looking for this info for my mission.

William T 24 November 2010 - 6:49pm / Sweden

Lowering it to 16 years would be more resonable.

Biden 14 October 2010 - 4:21am / UK

Why would I want a 21 year old prostitute!?

jasmin 18 April 2010 - 8:32am / India

Why do not they abolish it?