Friday 31 October
Catholic child abuse - nuns also accused
Britta Wielaard's picture
Tegelen, Netherlands
Tegelen, Netherlands

Catholic child abuse - nuns also accused

Published on : 9 March 2010 - 12:30pm | By Britta Wielaard (Photo: Clipart)

Following recent reports about sexual abuse of children by Dutch priests, it now appears that some nuns also took advantage of their charges. Tuesday’s edition of newspaper De Telegraaf contains the story of Herman Harends, who says he was abused by nuns at a Roman Catholic boarding school he attended in the 1950s.

Radio Netherlands Worldwide and newspaper NRC Handelsblad published their report on sexual abuse within the Roman Catholic church two weeks ago. Since then, more and people have come forward, saying they, too, were childhood victims.

Mr Harends and his two brothers attended a boarding school in the southern Dutch town of Tegelen.
"I have not spoken out before because it is a hard claim to substantiate,” he explains, “I’m not looking for atonement or apologies, most of the nuns have died.”

“The abuse by the sisters started when I was 11. When I was in the bath they played with my penis and tried to give me an erection ... They would also put my hand under their robes and into their underwear.”

Mr Harends (now 63) does not believe the abuse was an isolated case. “I had dealings with two nuns who  worked independently,” he tells the paper, “I can’t imagine that I, one of the hundreds of students, was the only one they used to vent their desires on.”

Mr Harends says he once tried to talk about what happened with one of his brothers. “He didn’t want to discuss it. And I respect that.”

© Radio Netherlands Worldwide

Melissa Reginelli 28 July 2013 - 4:02am / Houston, TX - USA

Sister Amelia and Sister Rosalia are probably shoveling coal together for eternity and I have peace with that. These two psychos had no business being around little children, other than to unleash their sublimated sexual needs expressed simply by having power. No fondling or grooming...just refusing something so compassionate and kindly as to allow us to go to the bathroom. So many kids would sit there in their own pee. Such an outrage, I think of the damage that was done to a child's mind, self-esteem, kidneys and bladder. By the 70s and 80s, bondage and torture fetishes were prevalent thanks to these "brides of Christ." Protestant kids just can't believe what we went through. Then you wonder why there were hippies in the 60s.

Anonymous 8 July 2012 - 10:34pm

I was abused sexually at around ten years old, by my mother. No church connection at all.

clay4522 27 June 2011 - 2:47am

I cannot understand how this abuse happens. This is so wrong to do to a child. I am not sure what they were thinking about here. Boating Exam

inter4522 2 May 2011 - 6:58pm

I cannot believe that something like this happens. How can you abuse a kid like this. This is so wrong to happen. whistleblower lawsuit

Dorothy P 14 February 2011 - 1:35am / USA

Sexual abuse of children by Catholic priests and/or deacons has been going on since I was a child. I was also almost a victim, had it not been for my telling my Mom and her telling my Dad. My Dad took care of the whole incident. My Dad was also the local Constable and he didn't take any Crap from anyone, even a priest.

Melissa Reginelli 28 July 2013 - 4:20am / USA

Bless your dear father, Dorothy! Let me tell you about the one time I told my mother that Sister Rosalie was hitting me. I remember her and this monster standing at the front of the class having a very nice conversation. I was confused by all that smiling. As my mother left the room, she said goodbye to me. I knew I was in for it. At recess, Sister Rosalie approached me with that yardstick behind her back. I clearly remember a sudden storm coming up, and as I backed away from her, her veil was blowing around and her giant rosary was clicking and clacking. She said, in her broken English...."Ma-LEE-za, why you tell your mama I heet you?" I was shaking so hard as I backed away and that creature whipped my behind from one end of that playground to the other. I was crying and denying that I'd told my mother anything. When my mother died, I took money that she'd left me and spent it on therapy. Forget the priests for awhile, let's go after those nuns. So what if most of them are dead, we should know where they're buried so that we can urinate on their graves. Seriously. Just maybe then, just maybe, I can begin to heal and forgive.

Anonymous 12 November 2010 - 5:33pm / Canada

''Years 1948 to 1958 '' I have known of such disgusting things by the priest & nuns also in the small village where I was going to school & attending mass. I was just 10 years old when I started noticing that this was totally wrong....By age twelve I was hiding in the village only restaurant every time my mother sent me to church, I was too afraid to be beaten up by the priest if I was to open up my mouth, he had done it once after mass, & when I complained about it to my mother, she wouldn't believe me, it was like that back then, because the Catholic church was using there powers towards our parents by blackmailing them to throw them out of church if they as much as contradict them....
I finally got out of the devil's claws on me (Catholic church) when I got married & moved far away from home, on that day I have sworn to myself to never set foot again in church, catholic or other churches....I have remained true to myself up to today, and never did set foot again in that kind of crap...

Anonymous 14 September 2010 - 12:47am / Australia

Visit Broken Rites website in Australia to view convictions of pedophile priests (only the ones that were caught and didnt die before prosecution). This site states their names and their convictions, where the offences took place, where these priests were transferred to and where they re offended and full details of their progression through the church. The Catholic Church image of Holier than thou has been shattered, worse is their attempts to cover up these abuses which have been going on for decades, probably a lot longer, efforts in Australia to avoid paying compensation have been extraordinary. Broken Rites have ensured justice for victims of this insidious religion.

Anonymous 8 July 2010 - 3:24pm / United States

Child sexual abuse has always been perpetrated by women as well as men. But for some sad excuse, women are not as commonly reported for such. Within the past ten years it has become popular to report that women are doing such things where in fact, there has always been quite a number of female predators.
There is truly "nothing new under the sun."

Anonymous 30 June 2010 - 3:04pm

DURING THE 1960's IN CHICAGO AT ST. JULIANA'S PARISH, NUNS WHIPPED US CHILDREN. ACROSS OUR FACES WITH THEIR 4 FT. LONG BELT ROPES! ONE KID WAS HUNG UP BY A NUN, SISTER VIRGANA, ON A METAL COATROOM HOOK! AT LEAST HE WAS LET DOWN BEFORE HE CHOKED TO DEATH! FROM MY SOUL, THE PEDOPHILIA WAS ONLY A SMALL PART OF WHAT WENT ON!

Anonymous 8 July 2010 - 3:26pm / United States

There is truly "nothing new under the sun."