Friday 31 October
Benin voodoo rituals
News Desk's picture
Allada, Benin
Allada, Benin

Benin voodoo to calm evil spirits in Haiti

Published on : 15 January 2010 - 2:20pm | By RNW News Desk

By Razzack Saïzonou

"We are deeply affected and feel solidarity with our Haitian brothers,'' said an emotional Queen Djehami following Tuesday’s earthquake in Haiti. Djehami is the wife of Kpodégbé Toyi Djigla, King of Allada, a town in central Benin and one of the largest kingdoms of the country.

"We are deeply affected, primarily because I am African, but mainly because I am from Allada. There is a sense of desolation at the palace."

During the 16th and 17th centuries, Benin played a key role in the slave trade. Thousands of men and women were uprooted and sold as slaves to work in plantations in Europe, the Caribbean and America. Many of them came from Allada, as did the family of Toussaint L'ouverture, who later founded the Republic of Haiti.

Slave
Toussaint L’ouverture (1743-1803), nicknamed the Black Napoleon, was born on a plantation in the French colony of Saint Domingue. He was named Breda after the plantation as was the custom for slaves.

His master, the relatively humane Mr Baillon de Libertat, encouraged Toussaint to learn to read and write, and appointed him as his coachman and then as his foreman. Later Toussaint led a revolution against slavery and Haiti became the first republic to be ruled by leaders with African ancestry.

Voodoo
Apart from the historical ties between Haiti and Benin, the two countries share the religion of their ancestors: voodoo. This religion is central to the worship and traditions of thousands of Haitians and Beninese.

Queen Djehami believes that this week’s earthquake has happened because Haiti’s ancestors failed to carry out sacrifices.

She explains that during his trip to Haiti six years ago, King Kpodégbé had warned the then President of Haiti of the need to organise sacrifices to appease angry spirits and ward off evil ones. His trip was part of bicentenary celebrations marking the death of Toussaint L’ouverture.

Although the Haitian authorities probably didn’t ignore the king’s warning, they did put off organising the rituals. "Haiti is profoundly African and these things should not be underestimated," exclaims Queen Djehami.

"His Majesty the King asked for a number of things to be done when we were there, but his wishes were not met. Was it negligence, was it that nobody believed in it?”

Solidarity
In an outburst of solidarity with the victims of the earthquake, the people of Benin and particularly those of Allada have organised traditional ceremonies to appease the spirits and seek the blessing of their ancestors for the Haitians.

"A purification ceremony is planned for Haiti and a trip to the devastated island is even possible. We will continue to pray that it never happens again," says the Queen of Allada.

Kayleigh 22 October 2014 - 3:04pm / France

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew
of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and
was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something
like this. Please let me know if you run into anything.
I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

My site acupuncture bristol

Dorothea 21 October 2014 - 3:25am / Brazil

I love reading a post that will make men and women think.
Also, many thanks for allowing me to comment!

My blog :: ALL KWs

Alannah 22 September 2014 - 10:30am / Belgium

My spouse and I stumbled over here coming from a different web page and thought I might as well check
things out. I like what I see so i am just following you.
Look forward to looking into your web page yet again.

my site ... paid for online surveys

voodoopaya37 7 March 2014 - 5:11am

By choosing our gym flooring rolls you are going to give a whole new and better look to your place that you sure would not regret, in very reasonable price. gym flooring

Voodoo 24 January 2012 - 11:59am

voodoo witchcraft upon its people, and should find this revolting. Those who think it's simply a "personal choice of religion" need to be thrown into the middle of this violent against God for even one night and see if they continue to think of voodoo as "just a personal choice.

Stevenz 31 December 2011 - 6:51am

Useful read about The devastation of the earthquake in Haiti has left no one indifferent, least of all the people of Benin, an African nation with strong ties to the first black republic of the world.

boom 12 November 2011 - 2:10pm

I am happy when reading your blog with updated information! thanks alot and hope that you will post more site that are related to this site.

Anonymous 28 December 2011 - 6:39pm

This is a fantastic website and I can not recommend you guys enough. Full of useful resource and great layout very easy on the eyes.

danielvdavis 9 October 2011 - 3:43pm

I'm bored to death at work so I thought I would take a look at your website on my iphone through lunch break. I enjoy the info you present here and cannot wait to take a look when I get back. I'm shocked at precisely how quick your blog site loaded on my mobile .. I'm not actually using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, amazing site!

Anonymous 14 August 2010 - 6:41pm / Haiti

Check this link out... It'll might help to shed some lights about what Voodoo has caused to Haiti.

Anonymous 14 August 2010 - 6:42pm / Haiti

jessyca 8 April 2010 - 2:37am / Haiti

Voodoo is a terrorist movement because it involves killing and drinking human blood.

bondye 21 January 2010 - 3:20am

Jt,
How closed minded and uneducated are you? You absolutely sound like a racist pig. Its the christian morality to push and force and convert souls to their religion. Need I educate you that, Catholicism is a national religion in Haiti because it was "forced" on them and they were "forced" to abandon their family history, what their elders taught them to know and how to worship God Almighty. Check your facts. How immoral are you to be so violent and obviously angry and offended in your comments about a culture you know nothing about. Vodous do worship God, stop watching so much media, check your facts because you sound like a bumbling idiot. Your message only shows you have some deep rooted personal issues that cause you to lash out maliciously on innocent people. I pray for your soul to be healed.

jt 19 January 2010 - 6:54am

How sad and how disgusting that the journalist can simply relate these absolutely pagan and godless thots / ideas / philosophies / RECOMMENDATIONS for God's sake!!!! with what would appear to be not even the blink of the eye under the supposed ?tolerant mindset of "just presenting the facts." Much more likely that their Satanic worship and ritual and rejection of everything that has to do with God...as well as the fact that this "religion" is not only considered but boasted to be the NATIONAL religion!!...has brought down the wrath of God on this nation for the purpose of trying to cleanse this country of this horrendous and absolutely dehumanizing devil worship, or at least give them a wakeup call that this is nothing more than self-destruction at its worst.

And one may post some type of inane drivel in response about "tolerance" or "respecting native religions" or other such PC nonsense. Doesn't matter. Anyone with a remaining moral fiber should be absolutely appalled that a country would choose and basically thereby FORCE voodoo / satanism / devil worship / witchcraft upon its people, and should find this revolting. Those who think it's simply a "personal choice of religion" need to be thrown into the middle of this violent, perverse, abomination against God for even one night (better yet a week or a month), and THEN see if they continue to think of voodoo as "just a personal choice." It's the darkest of the darkest that human nature can descend to. If you haven't experienced it and seen what it does to a human life, then be silent at the least, pray God to deliver them at best.

voodoopaya37 27 March 2010 - 7:01am / u.s.a

an abomination is a religion that would coral human beings into such a disgusting and inhumane system of slavery as occured through the trans-atlantic slave trade in the first place. i dont think that you even have a clue about what you percieve as god or gods way or a knowledge of any religion for that matter. since the god that you refer to isnt yours in the first place but one imposed on your ancestors. worse you dont fully understand it, but pretend outrage in its name. witchcraft? satanism? devil worship? the only place i have seen such things is in the christian west, particularly in america where priest (and protestant ministers) routinely sacrifice children to moloch in the name of jesus. the 'gods' of my ancestors were powerful enough to inspire a successful revolution defeating the most powerful country in the world at the time. they were merciful enough to care for and heal white folks (when white christian doctors condemned them to death) in the u.s. inspite of the ill treatment and theft of the very humanity of the african people by these white monsters. one thing is sure your imagined god can neither help nor hurt. the lwa answers.

babalao 11 May 2010 - 2:45am

Yes! Correct, correct. Everyone commenting on this needs to actually learn something about vodou before handing out their ignorant opinions on the religion.