Wednesday 16 April
Nelly (r) and her friends learn how to sing
Yaoundé, Cameroon
Yaoundé, Cameroon

Albinos struggle for love

Published on : 3 January 2013 - 1:21pm | By RNW Africa Desk (photo: Anne Mireille Nzouankeu)

Because they are “whites” born of black parents, albinos face discrimination every day and struggle to find love.

By Anne Mireille Nzouankeu, Yaoundé

Every Sunday, a dozen albinos get together to sing in a neighbourhood of Yaoundé, Cameroon’s capital. For them, singing is a form of therapy that helps them cope with the stigma they face.

“I experience stigmatisation every single day of my life. When I take a taxi, at the market and in all public places, people give me strange looks. Some poke fun at me with phrases like: ‘the white girl with cat’s eyes’,” says Nelly Kemezong, a 24-year-old albino woman.

Curse
Emmanuel Koum, 29, explains that it's extremely difficult him to find a girlfriend: “I’ve met a few girls who told me that their families are against them dating an albino. In fact, in most families, the idea of anyone having an albino partner is hard to accept”, he says.

Emmanuel explains that “in some cultures, being albino is considered a bad omen or a curse. So people tend to believe that someone who gets married to or who even dates an albino will never be happy. The family will try to do everything they can to destroy the relationship.”

Not enterprising
What is most surprising is that albinos themselves practice discrimination against other albinos.

“I don’t want to marry an albino man. I’ve never loved one. Albino men are too soft, too passive and not enterprising enough”, Nelly explains.

“As an albino, I’ve had many problems both with my health and in my social life. If I marry another albino, our children will be albinos, and it will only add to these problems and perpetrate the albino race”, adds Sylvie Nana, another albino woman.

Emmanuel Koum who mentors many young albinos, says their lack of drive has psychological roots. “Some albinos anticipate the social stigmatisation and prefer not to fall in love to avoid disappointment”, he reveals.

No love life
Because of the stigma, very few young albinos manage to have a love life. Nelly has been in a relationship for the past few months. Her boyfriend is African and all is well. Emmanuel, on the other hand, is single like half of the young members of the singing group.

His plea: “Albinism is not a curse. It’s only a biological anomaly. It doesn't affect a person’s emotions, abilities or intelligence. It only affects the colour of their skin. So let’s stop the stigmatisation and allow albinos to have a normal life like everyone else.”

• Albino rights office in Yaoundé<br>&copy; photo: Anne Mireille Nzouankeu - http://www.rnw.nl
  • Nelly Kemezong<br>&copy; photo: Anne Mireille Nzouankeu - http://www.rnw.nl
  • Nelly (r) and her friends learn how to sing<br>&copy; photo: Anne Mireille Nzouankeu - http://www.rnw.nl

Charles Khazar 14 August 2013 - 12:21am / United States, U.S.A.

09/12/2013. 4:40 P.M.

Hi! My Why is there so much hate, and ignorance in the world,
what different does it makes; if so someone happen to look--
diffrent. I never look at anybody in a strange way... we're all
strange to one another___after being seperated, for so long;
sent the first migration, out Africa,___ (45,000 to 75,0000)
years ago! I know we are all the same, freom the same tree.

I come from a "DIVERSE," family background, many shades and color:
yes, I do have (albino famiyl members.) My family come from all over
Australia, Ethiopia, Europe, etc. Get the point. Read more- learn more
before anyone criticize anyone. There is a reason for people being
differentit's the law of nature. "We can't change what we are, _______
phsically...totally."But we can change who we are by excepting one an-
other, for what we are. Not what we appear to look like!

Charles a.k.a Koala.

Nike 20 June 2013 - 8:25pm / India

I've left my job to move to the city into the house where my parents live.
My parents are very very abusive and when I went to live with them after quitting my job, I couldnt find a day job and did not join one.
I also wanted to find love for marriage.
My parents inspite of their wealth, harassed me and challenged me that no one will come forward to marry me as I don't have a job.
But I was running my Internet Business in the mean time.

A Lovely Miracle Happened one day :

Miracle : An albino girl has fallen in Love with Me !

An albino girl has fallen in Love with me and Loves me. I too love her a lot and we want to get married and enjoy life and give birth to children.
My lover is confident that we will give birth to normal children and so
am I about her sweet faith.
My parents came to know about my love and especially my mother is abusing and scolding a lot now and then.
Dear Friends, if you want to Love an Albino, if the albino loves you, Go for it !
Loving and Living with an Albino is normal and natural and wonderful exactly like other human beings, the only thing is an albino is born without melanin and so is white in complexion, hair color etc,

Be Bold !
Get the Love of an Albino if you are offered Love from an Albino !

You will enjoy it a lot.
I enjoy my albino girlfriend's love and affection a lot and she loves
me Truly, Deeply and Madly with a Soulful touch.
She is highly understanding, feminine, very young , religious , spiritual
and a marvelous human being. She has studied through scholarships and everyone likes to help her and wishes the best for her.
I am lucky to have My Albino Doll Lover Girl who is my friend, soulmate, sweetheart of my hearts desire.
I used the Law of Attraction to attract a lover and I got her by Magic !
Hope you all enjoy my story and be inspired to Marry any person who loves you with true love.

Never Let Down an Albino who gives you love, Shower the Albino with Love !

Zese 22 September 2013 - 2:00am / USA

Where can I meet single albino men ages 57 to 75 in the United States. I have been looking on the internet but have found none. I have no problem dating and/or marrying an albino man. Any advice will be appreciated

Vick Ménard 15 March 2013 - 1:36pm / France

The situation is incredible. Sadly discrimination is just everywhere, not only in Africa. It's good to come out on this issue and let every know about the true nature of this biological anomaly. Often people with such anomalies are treated as less intelligent or somehow inferior which can have a drastic effects on the development of such people, in this case the albinos in Africa. As an old backpacker myself I have seen and met a lot of these albinos in the world and I know they seek to live a normal life just as everyone else.

britneyspears 25 January 2013 - 3:31am / Italia

There are several albinos in my town and they seem like very friendly people. I suppose it also helps that there are many many white people living in my town, and albinism makes these people look just somewhat more white. There are several people from Norway and Denmark who have blonde hair and very fair skin. Anyway, these people should consider finding a community if they want love, or even think about trying one of those dating sites (like these), otherwise, it's going to be tough to find love in a place that is afraid of differences like that.

Zese 22 September 2013 - 2:06am / USA

The dating sites you have suggested are, for the most part, full of crap. I have been on all of them and have only met scammers. Or, if the person is a real person, they are looking for one-night stands.

Teshi 24 March 2014 - 7:50am / Nigeria

I'm one young one living in Nigeria

Zeze 6 November 2013 - 4:40am / USA

To Zese:
I,too, have been looking to date an albino man. Have you had any luck. The dating sites that indicate they are for albino men and women are, like you said, full of crap.

KD 5 Birch 11 January 2013 - 10:54am / KD 5 Birch

Im thankful for the blog article. Much obliged.thank-ok-it

Anonymous 5 January 2013 - 12:48am / Lalaland

It is with true love as it is with ghosts; everyone talks of it, but few have seen it.

Anonymous 3 January 2013 - 11:36pm

I have never met albinos in my life. In yellow t-shirt guy has same appearance as a guy i met in 2010/2011 from Sierra Leon!

Vera Gottlieb 3 January 2013 - 7:05pm / Switzerland

Not only is religion the root of so many evils, so too is racism.