Sunday 20 April
Happy New Year
Hilversum, Netherlands
Hilversum, Netherlands

A new Radio Netherlands Worldwide

Published on : 1 January 2013 - 10:04am | By (Image: RNW)

This coming year is an important one for RNW. A year in which, at the age of 65, we will be reinventing ourselves. Our new Editor-in-Chief William Valkenburg officially begins today; he looks to what lies ahead of us in 2013.

The era of short-wave radio is behind us; satellite and Internet are the communication channels of the future. The worldwide dissemination of information is no longer the exclusive domain of specialised broadcasters. Via internet, anyone anywhere can reach out to the world with a good story.

That doesn’t mean journalists and broadcasters are redundant; quite the contrary in fact. Huge amounts of information are available more and more quickly and via all sorts of different channels. The need to filter, analyse and investigate all this information remains the same while the goalposts of journalism have moved completely.

Active link
Our public is no longer a passive audience that very occasionally might write us a letter, but an active link in the process of newsgathering and distribution. Our public engages actively in discussion and has stories that are worth telling. They help us filter by letting us know what is or isn’t relevant to them. And via social media, our public spreads our best stories further abroad.

RNW will have to forge a strong and unique identity if we are to win a place as a visible force in the new media landscape. Focus and specialisation are key. Free access to information, freedom of expression, good governance, and civil and sexual rights are the pillars of the new RNW: universal themes we’ll be tackling with an individualistic Dutch approach. We’ll be focusing our work in areas where freedoms are limited and aiming to appeal to a younger generation that is increasingly tuned in to new media.

New stories
2013 is Year Zero for the new-look RNW. A year in which we’ll be looking more than ever to strengthen cooperation with our partners and audiences in China, Latin America, Africa and the Arab world. A year in which we’ll be actively looking for new ways to find and tell the stories that are important to our audience, and in which our audiences will be encouraged to play an ever more active part. A year in which we’ll be pushing ourselves to cement the ties with our audience and our themes. A year, in short, of dialogue and renewal.

Anonymous 15 April 2014 - 5:06am / nc

Best wishes and a very Happy New Year to you all.
www.wcsoccerjersey.com

Anonymous 15 April 2014 - 5:04am / nc

I just saw a poll at the PCJ website asking if Radio Netherlands will survive.
www.wcsoccerjersey.com

Anonymous 15 April 2014 - 5:03am / nc

I don't know if you all knew that RNW budget has been cut 70 percent by the new government. So, all changes is because of the radical cutbackscheap soccer jersey

Virginiajim 26 October 2013 - 10:59pm / USA

I just dashed off an email message to the headquarters to ask if the RSS feed has been removed. For at least a year I used a program once a week to download all the podcasts for "Bridges with Africa" and "Africa in Progress" for later listening on an MP3 player while working. I no longer receive those and cannot find a RSS icon on the web sites. Also the number of new programs appear to have decreased by a very great amount. Podcasts can still be downloaded, but not automatically. I hope my email brings more positive news, but I'm not expecting it to....

Anonymous 9 March 2013 - 9:35pm / romania

10,358 people like Radio Netherlands Worldwide. X10$=~100'000$/year It is a summ of money we coud brig to your buget by donating. Coud it brig back online rnw.nl?

Anonymous 9 February 2013 - 9:00am / Asia Pacific

Just heard a station today using multiply frequencies that gave the ID as the New Radio Netherlands. I heard a few former Radio Netherlands staff on the station talk about it. Do you know anything about who is behind the New Radio Netherlands?

topupnow 27 January 2013 - 11:27am / topupnow

Sweet blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News. Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News? I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Thanks

Ex-dutch 22 January 2013 - 4:46pm / South Africa

What I fail to understand is why the international and dutch emails was stopped. It kept one up to date with both, giving an extra perspective on world and dutch matters. What can it cost to copy and past the text for the news readers into e-mails and send them out? That was in my mind one of ther cheapest outreach possible.

Dipsy Doodle 17 January 2013 - 6:30pm / U.S.A.

You're stupid leaving the shortwaves. How will people in China get their information now that you're on the internet only?

Tony Harding 22 January 2013 - 9:11am / Hong Kong

Totally agree

T. Michael Cluer 12 January 2013 - 7:41pm / Canada

I preferred Radio Netherlands when it was just Radio Netherlands (player) ... I don't do "Facebook", Twitter, and the rest: I just want the news and discussion, and now I can't find that. Au revoir ....

ronnie 12 January 2013 - 12:41am / u.s.a.

I certainly hope radio netherlands stays in existence so I have some other opinion !Thanyou

Anonymous 11 January 2013 - 2:41pm / Belgium

Eduard van Groningen 11 January 2013 - 4:14am / USA

Sounds good. I hope Perro DeJong is still employed also. Thanks Eduard.

Graham John 9 January 2013 - 3:11am

Good luck for the future RNW, love it.

Keith Perron 8 January 2013 - 5:35am / TW

Still waiting for some answers I asked. You guys were saying months ago there would be a new website as of January 1st, 2013. Still looks the same to me. The results of a PCJ poll we have asking the question: Will Radio Netherlands survive for another five years?, is the following. Between January 2nd and 8th 50 people responded. 34 said NO, 7 said YES, & 9 said MAYBE. http://www.pcjmedia.com/component/poll/29-rnwsurvive

Patrick 6 January 2013 - 9:26am / USA

I've said it before. The time to save RNW was five years ago by actually listening to the programming, not just DX them and then tune the knob off. The people complaining here were never listeners to RNW. You can listen to RNW right now.

Keith Glimmer 10 January 2013 - 9:30am / USA

It's ridiculous even insulting to say "The people complaining here were never listeners to RNW". I listened every day & paid attemtion to the program content. The fact is alot of people don't want to be chained to a computer to hear a "radio station". I wish RNW luck in the future but I doubt I will listen very often.

Keith Perron 8 January 2013 - 5:29am / TW

I was always a RNW listener. When I lived in China for over 8 years the only way to listen was through HF. The internet audio never worked in China. How can you say I never listened?

Matt C 6 January 2013 - 12:04am / USA

The era of short-wave radio is behind us.. translation ...the end of trying to reach those where news media is state controlled is behind us.

Anonymous 4 January 2013 - 6:43am / USA

But how do I get the news now?

Keith Perron 4 January 2013 - 4:05am / Taiwan ROC

Provide information to countries that lack press freedom. How?
With China making it tighter to access the internet. How?
What content can RNW provide to China that they can't already get from other more important services like BBC World Service, Voice of America, Radio Free Asia, Radio Australia?
How much did RNW pay to produce a parody of the song Gangnam Style?
How do you expect to rebuilt anything if you canceled programs that were in a way already telling important stories?
What happened at RNW with the budget cuts could have been handled better. 14 million Euros may not be a lot, but to switch to providing content to countries with no press freedom is silly. There are already others doing it. And are doing it better than RNW could ever think about doing it.
Has RNW looked into moving certain aspects of the station to operate more commercially?
You said you want to reach an audience by the internet, but you stopped your steams. Do you think you could ever return with any impact? It's been to long.
I suspect RNW was not cut totally for the same reasons Radio Sweden and Radio Canada International were not. There are some people they need to keep on the pay role, so it's easier for the Dutch Government to do things this way.
The State We're In was the best program RNW produced in years. The State We're In could have been produced commercially. Why didn't that happen? Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel not all avenues were explored. That does not totally surprise me as it's not the first time I have seen this happen with public broadcasters.

Frank D 3 January 2013 - 6:37pm / USA

Focusing on freedom where it is limited and looking towards China, South America etc. for a new audience is all nice and well, but what are you going to broadcast? how? in which languages? how will they listen? ...

You say you will do it via the internet, a logical choice in in 2012, but you're already off the air on the internet. The only streaming broadcast I can get from RNW is in Arabic. Arabic? Hardly the most international recognized language?

Looking at your website. The most important segments are dead because the programs were cancelled.

So how are you going to build your new audience? When you left - or were forced to leave - your entire audience pretty much in the dark. RNW has spread over the years through generations, friends & family, across the globe to people who wish to tune into current news from back home (whether Dutch or English) and to hear news from abroad, via radio while they could be reading, working, ...

Does your new audience have an interest in the Netherlands? Do they have broadband? How are they going to find you ...

Your previous listeners are still looking to you for content, and I think you need to get back to basics before moving into new directions. Start by getting your previous audience back. Revive your Dutch and international news coverage and make that available around the world. Get the international segments back on air in English. Let the news spread you are back on the air and then start injecting your new message.

Ambient 3 January 2013 - 5:51pm

If RNW's new mission centers on freedom of expression where it is suppressed, then RNW must conduct technical research and development on circumventing governmental and commercial barriers to content distribution and not merely produce content for transmission on media controlled by other parties (Twitter, satellites, Internet service providers, mobile telephone carriers). RNW and its sister broadcasters failed to foster disruptive technology advances in shortwave and could be caught in the same obsolescence again. The developments in radiogram news transmission over shortwave deserve RNW's close attention and explicit support as a means to circumvent jamming and censorship. As to RSS, I completely agree that RNW should distribute extensively in RSS, encourage RSS applications and not depend on Twitter and Google as gateways to its content.

Ray Robinson 3 January 2013 - 2:06am / U.S.A.

Hi, William. I wish you well, but fear you have an insurmountable hill to climb. I used to be a regular listener to RNW for the excellent content they produced, but now all that is gone. You let your best people go, and shuttered the shows that made a difference in the world. I'm grateful for the memories, but have zero expectations from you for the future. More power to PCJ Media and others who are successfully doing what RNW ought to be doing, and on a shoestring at that.

Thomas Witherspoon 2 January 2013 - 11:45pm / United States

RNW, I summed up my thoughts in this post:

I truly wish you the best going forward--you have an amazing legacy--but I fear you have so little left to offer. Prove me wrong.

Cheers,
Thomas

Patrick 6 January 2013 - 9:32am

They didn't have a listenership in the MILLIONS, in fact, they got a couple of letters and emails a week. The DX clubs helped do in shortwave by never listening to the programs, but only writing to get QSL cards. Stations don't transmit to satisfy the DX crowd. Had people actually listened to their programming on a regular basis, RNW is still airing it's programming. I think it's great we can listen to RNW many ways we couldn't just two decades ago including downloading podcast and listening on our time, not their schedule.

Kim Jin-Hee 2 January 2013 - 8:24am / United States

I just saw a poll at the PCJ website asking if Radio Netherlands will survive. www.pcjmedia.com I already answered NO. I don't think they will. They just ended everything they were excellent at.

Kim Jin-Hee 2 January 2013 - 6:54am / South Korea

Radio Netherlands will have programs for countries with no press freedom? This is laughable. What were you already doing? Also I just heard that PCJ Radio is building it's own relay station so they won't have to rely on others. And yes their programming is far better than RNW now. I also heard they are going to start doing The State We're In. On December 31st for their service to the Pacific I heard the announcer on the air say (This year Radio Netherlands went silent. Considering how embarrassing they became in international broadcasting. I'm glad they are gone. As we at PCJ Radio International intend to do anything we can to create the Radio Netherlands sound and leave them in the dust). This was at 22UTC from their relay from Singapore as was identified.

user avatar
Eric Beauchemin 3 January 2013 - 9:37am

On behalf of my RNW colleague, Greg Kelly:

I'm the editor of The State We're In (TSWI), or rather former editor. And I know nothing about any arrangement to have PCJ broadcast TSWI, especially since we went out of production at the end of October 2012. So it's a mystery to me how this is going to be done. And it's probably a mystery to you as well, since you know even less than I do about it. TSWI's web and Facebook pages are still somewhat active. You can find out anything you need to know there.

Greg Kelly