Radio Netherlands Worldwide

SSO Login

More login possibilities:

Close
  • Facebook
  • Flickr
  • Twitter
  • Google
  • LinkedIn
Home
Tuesday 21 October  

Death toll in Ghana mall collapse rises to 14

Published on 11 November 2012 - 4:39pm
More about:

The death toll from the collapse of a shopping mall in the Ghanaian capital last week has risen to 14, an army officer said on Sunday.

"The latest figure we have is that 14 people are dead and work is still going on at the site," army spokeswoman Commander Veronica Arhin told journalists after the disaster at the six-storey Melcom shopping centre in Accra.

Officials said that 75 people have been pulled alive from the rubble.

An official investigating the collapse said the building, which opened early this year, lacked a permit and cited structural failure as the cause, adding that the concrete mix used did not appear up to standard.

Ghana's deputy information minister Okudzeto Ablakawa said that the owner of the building and a municipal official were being detained as part of the investigation.

© ANP/AFP
  • Rescue workers comb through the rubble of a collapsed six-storey shopping ...
FacebookTwitterYou tubeSoundcloud

Video highlights

Liza Kamizazi’s gift to Rwanda’s next generation
When Rwandan singer Liza Kamikazi was about to adopt a baby boy, she was...
My Song: N'kash the fearless albino rapper
For many people living with albinism the situation in some parts of Africa...
My Song: Facing the roaring lion
Yves Nzeyimana Kana, lead singer of Afro-rock band Trezzor from Rwanda,...