Friday 31 October
Internet fraud in Cameroon
Buea, Cameroon
Buea, Cameroon

Cameroon arrests internet fraudsters

Published on : 27 July 2010 - 9:32am | By RNW Africa Desk (Photo: Flickr/Frerieke)

Cameroon's Interpol has arrested 22 Internet scammers in less than a month after the its parliament voted for a bill to set up a cyber police force to fight alarming cyber crime. The report revealed that the youth use social networks such as Facebook, Hi5 to rip-off their victims with false profiles.

The Internet fraudsters, the report said, are based in Cameroonian towns such as Bamenda, Yaounde, Limbe, Buea and Douala while in the Diaspora in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Ussuriysk in Ukraine, London in the United Kingdom, Berlin in Germany, Ivory Coast and Nigeria.

Most of the scammers, who use pseudonyms, get into the profile of victims either on facebook, skype and other chat forums on the Internet; lure them into love fantasies which end up in huge monetary transactions that end up in their disappearance once the deal has been sealed.

The example is told of an American girl who created a facebook profile to escape the burden of loneliness created by the breakup of a relationship.

Having one of her paternity from Cameroon, she began adding people from Cameroon to her profile, although she had never visited the country.

Less than two months ago, she was contracted by one of the Cameroonians in her profile who is based in Kuala Lumpur. She was carried by what soon became a love scam. She fell in for the scammer.

A very intelligent and rich student, she promised to sponsor his entry into the United States of America and to help him get into the same University where, of course she will unilaterally bear the burden of paying the fees.

After buying a plane ticket to spend vacation with her new lover in Malaysia, she gave access to her scammer lover to collect money from her account to book a hotel and rent a car for her stay in Malaysia.

The girl later realized a huge sum of money has been cashed from her account with the new lover gone into the wilderness.

source: Africanews

Anonymous 28 March 2014 - 1:58pm / Czech

Same here, shame for Cameroon, i hope Cameroon police can actually work!

Anonymous 28 March 2014 - 1:56pm / Czech republic

I've got the same case here also Cameroon guys, hope that the police of that country will actually work hard to find the criminals. Such a shame for Cameroon! They uses various of Western Union places, if the police tries to be a client and pretend to send money, they'll discover the place where the criminal takes the money and they can catch them easily.

mdm4672 23 February 2014 - 2:39pm

I know I will not get my money back, but I lost over $3,000 to Azoa Cletus in Doula Cameroon. I just would like to find out how to turn them in in hopes they have to pay police and/courts more than I lost. I hope to prevent others from doing the same. So far 3 people in Cameroon have gotten money from me, but I got nothing in return other than one person who sent me junk that I never wanted, but also scammed an extra $1,420 on alleged refundable insurance that never happened. Azoa Cletus is who I lost the most from, and who flat out told me to F.Off, and that there was nothing I could do about all the money he got from me. Azoa Cletus even has SUH and a fake Global Shipping thing going on to try and scam more money. I even have a copy of Azoa's passport. I have copies of Western Union receipts and all the emails shared with these people in Cameroon that have Scammed much money from me. This kind of people give Cameroon a bad reputation. Also these people are scamming alleged refundable insurance upon delivery.
Thanks,
Michael

chris davis 10 November 2013 - 7:47pm / us

I got scam by
Name...tawhehfelix nfor
Zip...00237
City.....maroua
Country.....Cameroon
So can someone help me get my money back and his email address is amandinecruz21@gmail.com
If you need more info email me Chris23davis@yahoo.com I still have all paperwork receipts in all someone please help

Anonymous 12 October 2013 - 3:19pm / croatia

Can anyone help me ???

Company name : Corporate Engineering
mail: info@corporateengineering.net
phone : +237-9038-0899
Adress : cameroon Brench Office
Rue 18 , Avenue Kennedy , Yaounde

Maybe they are SCAMMERS......

Anonymous 18 October 2013 - 12:03pm / UAE

Hello, I got the same email offering me a Job there. It seems it is a scam but they have so much technical value going around. Do find more if it is a scam.

Anonymous 30 August 2013 - 10:00pm / USA

I've just been scammed from someone in Cameroon who goes under the name of fuombot farming. I sent them $100 via Western Union for health food juice called Soursop. Today I get a notice from DHL (I'm sure this is fake too) telling me to send them $650 to insure shipping and that it would be refunded back to me. This started me thinking, "I've been scammed". I didn't send the $650 and told them absolutely NO. I am out the $100 that I sent via Western Union though and no health fruit juice.

Srdjan Jovanovic 30 December 2011 - 9:02pm / Serbia

URGENT FRAUD OF $ 15,448
Ladies and Gentlemen
I want to note that the companies in Cameroon a great deception!
My recommend at ion is to forget to Cameroon because all false companies!
Support that they have from all state institutions.
The greatest support their embassies which have on every continent!
When I asked for help in connection with the existence of the company to which I was supposed to transfer money, the response from the Embassy of Cameroon which is located in Berlin, was that they have no way to verify whether the company registered in Cameroon.
I asked the same question to the Supreme Court, Police Administration and the Government of Cameroon, all I get the same answer that they have no way of checking whether the company exists.
In particular;

Companies,
Express Cargo Sarl
Douala, BP 4110 Rue Pau, Akwa, Douala, Littoral
Tel: +237 97.91.25.18
Fax: +237 33.32.33.38
email: expresscargo42@rocketmail.com
Website: www.expresscargo.com
Operations Manager: Hauxstable Mindinde Junior

the account at the Bank switches I $ 15,448 for the purchase of base oil, they were allegedly bought by oil companies,

CCENCAMWA Oil Co,
Address: 10.205 Bonaberi Douala, Industrial Zone, BP.5227,
Tel: 00237 97912518, 00237 333 23 338,
E-mail: ccencamwa@yahoo.com
Operations Manager: Atangana Mado

and jointly organized by the carrier who gave me a code to track containers CMR862231110
which is also false.

Carrier,
CAMSEALINE
Rue de Rio Geoges Douala Cameroon
BP 5746 Douala
Tell :- +237 3311 47 12
Cell :- +237 9547 25 45
Fax :- +237 3311 47 12
Email :- infos@camsealine.com , camsealine@gmail.com
Website: www.camsealine.com
Operations Manager: Mike Obala

Dear pretenses, I will send this notice and the chairman of the Prime Minister of Cameroon and then to all the embassies of Cameroon has worldwide and foreign embassies that are located in Cameroon.
President and Prime Minister of Cameroon, I promise that I will with the help of a few hackers to bring down the officialgovernment site until the fraudsters are not arrested and brought tothe law.
Best regards from Serbia